Home Health & Hospice
Because There’s No Place Like Home
When someone is faced with illness or injury, it not only affects the physical aspect of their life, but alters daily chores, interaction with family, and the mental health and well being of that individual as well.
VCHS Home Health understands the complexity and frustration this can cause in a household. That is why we strive to deliver tender, compassionate and competent services that meet the unique needs of each patient we serve.
VCHS Home Health is a Medicare certified agency consisting of a professional staff formally trained to care for people who require health care in their own homes.
Home Health nurses are on call 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Home Health services are provided under the direction of a patient’s physician. Patients are given care and personalized attention from a team of registered nurses, physical therapists, Home Health aides, social workers, and occupational and speech therapists.
This professional team provides skilled observation and assessment of the patient and helps to develop a plan of care.
- Nursing - A RN or LPN, under the close supervision of the patient's physician, provides skilled nursing services such as, but not limited to, medication administration, post-surgical care, infusion and lab services, nutritional guidance, and colostomy or tracheostomy care.
- Home Health Aide - Certified Home Health Aides (HHA) assist the professional nursing staff by providing services of personal care such as bathing, dressing, grooming and related hygiene.
- Physical Therapy - Licensed physical therapists or physical therapy assistants can provide rehabilitative care in the home to restore muscle strength and independence.
- Occupational Therapy - The Occupational Therapists provide instructions in areas of self care such as grooming, bathing and homemaking. The therapists may also recommend methods of adapting the home environment to make living at home easier.
- Speech Therapy - The Speech Therapists provide assistance with communication disorders that include eating/swallowing disorders, aphasia, and training for the hearing impaired.
- Social Work - The Social Worker assists with living arrangements, long-term planning, and financial concerns. Patients may benefit from referrals and coordination with community resources as well.
Valley County Health System Home Health provides services in Valley, Garfield, Loup, Custer, Wheeler, Greeley, Sherman and Howard Counties.
Who is Eligible?
Patients qualify for Home Health services when they:
- Require skilled care from a nurse or therapist.
- Are under the care of a physician.
- Meet the homebound criteria outlined by their payor source.
- Are recovering from an accident, illness or surgery that requires intermittent care given under professional supervision, which can be satisfactorily continued in the home.
Who Pays for Home Health Services?
Home Health ordered by a physician is paid for by Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans’ Administration and most private insurance companies. Patients may also request these services on a private-pay basis.
For more information, view the Home Health Brochure or call 308.728.4355 or 800-352-2171.
Care and Comfort at the End of Life
Valley County Health System’s Hospice Program provides exceptional end-of-life care with compassion, dignity and respect. Our focus is on care, not cure, with an emphasis on helping the patient make his or her remaining time as fulfilling and comfortable as possible.
Our dedicated, caring staff works closely with the patient’s family as well. Bereavement follow up is offered to family and friends for up to one year following the death of a loved one. We also sponsor bereavement and support groups for anyone in the community who has experienced the death of a family member, friend or loved one.
The Valley County Health System Hospice Program provides personalized care for patients, no matter what their needs.
- Provides care for the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of patients.
- Takes place in the patient’s home, a home-like setting or a nursing home.
- Focuses on ensuring patients are as free of pain and as comfortable as possible, allowing them to make the most of their remaining time.
- Offers support and education to family members and caregivers.
- Is centered around the belief that quality of life is just as important as length of life.
Who Provides Hospice Care?
Hospice care is provided by a team of doctors, nurses, social workers, counselors, home care aides, clergy members, therapists and volunteers. Together, they provide comprehensive care aimed at relieving symptoms and giving social, emotional, and spiritual support.
- The Valley County Health System Hospice Program serves patients regardless of age, gender, nationality, race, creed, sexual orientation, disability, diagnosis or ability to pay.
- No one is refused service based on financial status and in most cases Hospice services are reimbursed by major health insurance plans and Medicare.
- A referral from the patient’s physician is needed.
- A primary caregiver should be present in the home environment.
For more information, view the Hospice Brochure or call 308.728.4355 or 800.352.2171.
Gold Star Award
Marcy Shafer, Catie Larsen and Claire Bredthauer
This great team organized and hosted the 11th Annual Associate Picnic and did a wonderful job! They put much thought and effort into each and every detail making sure that our associates had an enjoyable evening with their families and coworkers. The planning they put into the meals, children’s events and prizes was very time consuming and they didn’t leave anything to chance.
Marcy Shafer, Catie Larsen and Claire Bredthauer hosted the picnic at a very busy time for Human Resources, while we working on the completion of the Long Term Care Transition. They had been putting in long days to complete everything and they did so with a smile and positive attitude.
They went above and beyond our VCHS values and provided fantastic, courteous, customer service to the associates of both the VCHS and VVSV teams. In addition, they helped transition our insurance coverage. With so many projects going on, we couldn’t be more proud of them and we are so grateful for the help and leadership they demonstrated throughout these huge projects! Congratulations!!
Congratulations Marcy, Catie and Claire!